« Back to all jobs Registrar & Collections Manager
- Employer: The Hyde Collection, Glens Falls, NY
Responsible for administration, development and implementation of policies and procedures for the care, storage, documentation, and handling of works of art in the collection. Responsible for the organization and maintenance of forms, legal documents, files, and retrieval systems associated with collections, acquisitions, accessions, deaccessions, cataloging, incoming and outgoing loans, packing shipping, customs, inventory insurance, copyright, photography, and rights and reproduction. Under the direction of the Curators, conducts research on objects in the collection and assists with exhibition development, planning, and installation. To fulfill these responsibilities, the Registrar and Collections Manager performs the following duties:
- Creates, organizes, and maintains record systems to register and control all collection cataloging, paper and electronic, including accession numbering, data entry into TMS, physical and historical description, and digital photography.
- Assists the curator with research on objects in the collection and on those being considered for gift or purchase to the Museum.
- Prepares deeds of gift, purchase agreements, deaccession forms, and loan agreements.
- Reviews and makes recommendation for loan requests and gifts to the collection.
- Oversees the packing and shipping of objects for incoming and outgoing loans and traveling exhibitions.
- Manages and processes Rights and Reproduction requests, in house, public and scholarly.
- Maintains files on copyright status and artists rights laws and issues.
- Provides information to potential donors, insurance companies and carriers, researchers, scholars, and staff members. Responds to questions by staff regarding the collection and collections care.
- Evaluates the condition of objects for all outgoing and incoming loans.
- Supervises and monitors access to the collection and archives.
- Maintains and supervises objects in storage, researches and implements storage design and material requirements.
- Supervises and executes object tracking, location, and inventory control and prepares appropriate reports. Updates locations in TMS expediently.
- Develops, monitors, and participates in housekeeping procedures for Hyde House.
- Manages the preservation of the collection including monitoring light levels, HVAC records, and protective measures of objects on display.
- Monitors and supervises environmental controls in collection storage areas, galleries, and Hyde House, makes recommendation for conservation for all objects including developing and updating the Museum’s long-range conservation plan.
- Manages and arranges for photography requests. Supervises contract photographers
- Assists the Curators with the selection of objects for exhibition.
- Oversees and makes recommendations for object display and participates in exhibition design and installation.
- Accurately and promptly maintains locations for objects, including distributing gallery checklists to security for all public spaces.
- Participates in the preparation of the departmental budget.
- Establishes and manages long-range projects including computerization, digitization, storage moves, inventory, policies, and procedures.
- Produces written narrative and budgetary information for grants pertaining to conservation, exhibition, and collections.
- Provides orientation, training, and supervision for volunteers, interns, and staff.
- As needed provides tours, lectures, and conducts workshops on collection-related topics.
- Makes recommendation of systems, upgrades, and maintenance of electronic and manual security systems.
- Provides access to and facilitation of repair and maintenance of mechanical systems pertaining to environmental controls of exhibition and storage areas.
- Serves as a member of the Collections & Exhibitions Committee. Takes minutes.
- Supports facilities department in cleaning back of house and storage areas at regular intervals.
To Apply Contact: