« Back to all jobs BMC Project Registrar
- Employer: The Asheville Art Museum, Asheville, NC
- Salary: $20 per hour; 864 total project hours
The Project Registrar is a temporary, grant-funded, part-time position with approximately 24 regularly scheduled hours per week over a 6-to-8-month grant period. The Project registrar will work with curatorial staff to support the Asheville Art Museum’s Black Mountain College (BMC) digitization project. Primary responsibilities encompass photography, collections database management, and cataloguing of the BMC Collection. This individual will report to the Assistant Registrar. This entry-to-mid level position is ideal for an emerging museum, library, or archival professional or someone seeking part-time employment in a small museum environment.
- Work with curatorial staff to oversee and perform digitization and cataloguing of objects in the
Museum’s BMC Collection, including unpacking, identifying, inventorying, photographing, and
cataloguing objects for EmbARK, the Museum’s collections management database. Digitization will specifically entail the following: use of a DSLR camera for photography of artworks; processing of image files, including proper file storage and editing of images in Adobe Photoshop; application of metadata using Adobe Bridge; entering of information into and linking image to EmbARK; tracking of technical links from EmbARK to the Museum’s online publicly searchable database
- Work with curatorial staff to bring the BMC Collection online through Web Kiosk-the publicly
accessible interface of EmbARK, including preparing/uploading images; assigning keywords/search terms to BMC object records; and assuring accuracy of physical descriptions of objects, including dimensions and media.
- Safely handle objects for photography and cataloguing.
- Process images using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge.
- Perform object photography using a copy stand and light setup.
- Input metadata and cataloguing information for objects using Dublin Core standards and Getty AAT vocabulary.
- Assist contract photographers brought in to photograph large or challenging objects outside the scope of the Museum’s photography set up.
- Work with curatorial staff and graduate and undergraduate interns on data entry.
- Conduct regular quality control checks on image files, image storage, records, and other data.
- Interact with the arts community and civic bodies as an advocate for the arts and the Museum.
- Other duties as assigned.