The Curatorial Assistant works directly with the Senior Visual Arts Curator at Tempe Center for the Arts to plan, research, and prepare for exhibitions and education programs in the Gallery at Tempe Center for the Arts. and in satellite spaces at the Tempe Post Office on Mill Avenue. This role will assist with a variety of duties including correspondence with artists, administrative duties, exhibition design and text, visual display building, and art handling. The Curatorial Assistant is a motivated, customer-focused, creative, organized and hands-on individual who thrives in a fast-paced and highly visible program that produces multiple exhibitions and education programs every year.
Essential Job Functions – Exhibition Coordination:
- Research and prepare for exhibitions including corresponding with artists, studio visits, partnership building, background research, processing loan agreements & condition reports, documentation, writing exhibit text panels, designing and installing signage, and other duties as assigned.
- Help with Gallery event coordination including planning, contracts, on-site management, customer service and artist/presenter assistance. Assist in the planning and execution of appreciation events.
- Help coordinate artist selection process including application and jury panel logistics.
- Assist marketing team on tasks specific to Gallery: website updates, on-site photography, social media communications, and program/event information.
- Supports coordination of Gallery-specific trainings of Experience Team (part-time staff and volunteer docent).
- Visibility of this position in the community requires high level of customer service and communication with other city staff, artists, local organizations, and members of the community on a regular basis. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are crucial. Must demonstrate problem solving skills and seek out innovative ways to enhance and elevate displays and audience reach.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects and demonstrate effective time management and organization skills. Initiative and selfstarter skills are essential.
Essential Job Functions – Exhibition Preparation:
- Assist in the coordination and preparation of exhibitions and special projects: fine art and artifact handling (preparation, transportation, unpacking and packing, display installation); 2D, 3D and video-based display installation; display building and maintenance (pedestals, vitrines, props and walls); sign production (design, printing, mounting and installation); and gallery layout (design and lighting).
- Lead the day-to-day maintenance and safety of gallery spaces and workshop: cleaning, organizing, and updating equipment and supply inventory lists; implementing safety procedures; monitoring gallery environment (humidity, lighting and temperature); ADA compliance research and implementation; MSDS report documentation and research.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs. and work at heights up to 30 ft. Climbing and strenuous physical activities are common in performing the duties of this position.