« Back to all jobs Collections Specialist
- Employer: The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, Los Angeles, CA
Reporting to the VP of Registration and Collections Management, the Collections Specialist will strategically plan for and execute the scope related to collection storage, packing, handling, and housing of collection material. This involves identifying safe and often creative storage solutions, excellent hand skills, and knowledgeable use of equipment and supplies. The position will closely liaise with other department areas including Permanent Collection and Conservation.
- Support day-to-day logistics of collection processes, materials, and spaces throughout the museum and offsite storage facilities.
- Assist with allocating and planning for collection storage space.
- Undertake proper handling, packing, and housing of collection material. Improve or rehouse existing storage solutions.
- Manage physical storage locations: cleaning, coordinating general maintenance, organizing, and tracking supplies and equipment.
- Assist with transporting collection material between Academy buildings and storage facilities.
- Assist with managing the resource, mannequin, and mount collections.
- Accurately record and track object information in the Museum’s collection database, including updating locations.
- Assist with tracking departmental supplies and materials in storage and communicating orders to be placed by the department coordinator.
- Assist with receiving and releasing art shipments, loading, and off-loading trucks.
- Participate in environmental monitoring, pest management, and emergency response preparations.
- Assist the Conservation department with Oddy tests to maintain the standard practice for long-term storage and display.
- Support the development and implementation of department policies and workflows including storage access procedures, handling, and archival rehousing guidelines.
- Along with the Permanent Collection Department, oversee and manage researchers and other visitors to storage space by coordinating schedules, work orders, and the resources needed to manage these requests.
- Collaborate with Collections Management, Registration, Conservation, and Collection Information departments to accomplish multiple simultaneous goals and projects to museum standards and in alignment with best practices.