The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures advances the understanding, celebration, and preservation of cinema through inclusive and accessible exhibitions, screenings, programs, initiatives, and collections. Welcoming visitors from Los Angeles and around the world, the museum works in active partnership with motion picture artists and specialists, scholars, staff, and diverse communities to contextualize and challenge dominant narratives around cinema, inspiring discourse, connection, joy, and discovery.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Registration and Collection Management, the Associate Registrar will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of loans and exhibitions registration. You will play a critical role in the management, coordination, installation, shipping and documentation of the loans and exhibitions programs. You must be highly organized, efficient, able to multi-task and prioritize, communicate effectively, and possess leadership skills.
- Assist with managing logistics for loans and in-house and traveling exhibitions, including but not limited to handling, packing, shipping, insurance, preparation, courier responsibilities, and condition reporting.
- Ensure proper documentation and record-keeping is in place, following AAM standards, for loans and exhibitions including but not limited to loan agreements, facility reports, insurance certificates, receipts, condition reports, and pro forma invoices.
- Act as courier for traveling loans and exhibitions.
- Assist with managing workflow and schedule in collaboration with other departments to ensure loans and exhibitions are delivered, installed, or returned efficiently.
- Identify and anticipate potential issues and communicate with all stakeholders to keep projects progressing on schedule.
- Supervise art handling and exhibition preparation of loan objects including installation, deinstallation, transport, unpacking and packing of crates and other movement.
- Manage interns or other staff.
- Supervise filming and photography of objects or galleries.
- Assist with maintaining record-keeping systems and procedures that promote identification and management of Museum loans and exhibitions and outgoing Library loans.
- Assist with organization of loans and exhibitions physical files and assist with updates and data entry in a collection management database.
- Collaborate with several Academy departments to ensure proper care and management of loans and exhibitions including curatorial, exhibition production, conservation, and security.
- Liaise with a range of stakeholders, Academy staff, members of site-partner organizations, staff at other institutions, donors, vendors, fine art shipping companies and members of the public.