« Back to all jobs Senior Registrar
- Employer: Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee, WI
The Milwaukee Art Museum seeks a knowledgeable, collaborative and experienced candidate to fill the position of Senior Registrar. With a collection of more than 34,000 objects, the Museum hosts a dynamic schedule of temporary exhibitions and permanent collection rotations, and supports an active acquisitions program. Reporting to the Chief Curator, the Senior Registrar is responsible for overseeing the Museum’s Registration department as the direct supervisor of a three-person staff. This position is responsible for maintaining professional standards of care and risk mitigation in transit, display, and storage; documentation; legal issues as it applies to our collections, loans, and exhibitions; helping to shape collection policies, exhibition planning and implementation; and will be a primary contributor to the Museum’s upcoming reaccreditation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the care and management of the Museum collections, adhering to current industry standards and best practices
- Plan, organize, direct, and execute the work of the Registrars’ office. Supervise registration staff.
- Develop, maintain, and implement the Collections Management Policy and procedures. Maintain Facilities Report.
- Oversee accessioning, promised and partial gifts, deaccessioning, and work to resolve old loans and undocumented collection objects in accordance with the Collections Management Policy and federal and state laws.
- Maintain fine arts insurance coverage and processes claims.
- Develop, monitor and oversee the registration budget.
- Oversee and implement care, organization, and maintenance of the collection storage areas and storage planning, according to professional museum standards.
- Work with Facilities and Conservation departments on collections-related facility issues and to ensure that environmental standards are maintained.
- Work closely with the Chief Curator and Curatorial staff on forward planning for in-house and touring exhibitions.
- Serve as the principle contact for internal and external colleagues on loan procedures, government indemnities, contracts, and lender negotiations.
- Logistically support the Conservation Department to evaluate and address works in need of conservation treatment.
- In conjunction with Conservation and Facilities staff, monitor environmental conditions and pest management in galleries and vaults.
- Maintain professional relationships within the field.
- CCSF Coordinator for the museum.
- Work on multi-department projects from campus space planning/use to site upkeep.