- Employer: HistoryMiami Museum, Miami, FL
- Salary: $40,000-$42,000 per year
- Posting Closes: October 17, 2022
Job Summary: HistoryMiami Museum houses over 30,000 items, mostly from the twentieth century, and an additional 550 cubic feet of archaeological material. The collection consists of three-dimensional artifacts related to South Florida, including artifacts ranging from pre-Colombian pieces to contemporary items, such as tools, furniture, boats, aviation materials, clothing, musical instruments and religious objects. The Registrar works under the Object Collection Curator with collections management and registration duties as assigned. Occasionally, the Registrar trains and exercises direction over student and volunteer personnel.
- Supports daily oversight and preservation of the museum’s permanent object collection.
- Performs data entry and filing related to donor recognition letters, gift forms, catalog records, and other artifact documentation.
- Photographs and edits images of objects for cataloging and documentation.
- Assists with maintenance, security, and upgrades of collections database.
- Classifies and numbers museum artifacts.
- Performs simple, appropriate cleaning of artifacts and assists with object condition reporting.
- Assists with inventories of collections and reconciliation with artifact records and documents and tracks physical location of objects in onsite and offsite locations.
- Supports the museum’s Integrated Pest Management program and environmental monitoring procedures.
- Advises with collections storage plans.
- Retrieves and prepares artifacts and artifact information, conducts artifact-related research, and provides input to staff regarding collection elements for exhibitions, programs, and other museum needs.
- Assists in the care, handling, packing/unpacking and moving of museum objects. Assist with shipping and receipt of crates.
- Occasionally responds to external collection-related inquiries, surveys, etc., from museums, researchers, and collectors.
- Participates in exhibition installation and dismantling.
- Occasionally assists with routine security and safety inspections.
Responsibilities Beyond the Collection:
- Maintains helpful and supportive customer service behavior with all clients.
- Establishes effective interdepartmental relationships to increase unit effectiveness and disseminate information.
- Communicates frequently and effectively with museum collections staff and other departmental staff or administration in a timely manner regarding policies, procedures, and other necessary information.