- Employer: Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Honolulu, HI
- Posting Closes: Open until filled
Develops and implements departmental programs and procedures, maintains the collection, storage, and retrieval of Museum registration records.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the collection, storage, and retrieval of accession, loan, and deaccession records as generated by Museum collections departments to ensure the recording and preservation of collections transaction records which track collection material entering and leaving the Museum.
- Ensures the appropriate design and maintenance of the registration database system and works with the collections staff to plan and implement networking for database sharing.
- Provides the best possible physical environment, care, and conservation of registration records to ensure their availability for future use.
- Provides information from the records to collections staff and the administration. With discretion, responds to information requests from other institutions, agencies, and the public.
- Prepares reports of collections transactions as requested for administrative purposes.
- Supervises the review of loans and the location of long-term lenders to obtain resolution of outstanding loans.
- Provides guidelines and procedures to inform and assist Museum collections staff in carrying out collections transactions in compliance with Museum policy.
- Applies for federal, state, and city permits for controlled collections, substances, and activities as necessary to comply with legal requirements and safeguard the Museum from liability related to collections.
- Works with the NAGPRA Team to ensure compliance with the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA).
- Proposes and assists in the development of Museum policies regarding accessions, deaccessions, exchanges, and loans to ensure that collections transactions are conducted in compliance with Museum policies and accepted scientific practices.
- Works with professional colleagues in other state, national, and international institutions and organizations as appropriate to share information and expertise.
- Interacts with staff and Museum clients with tact, courtesy, and unqualified respect at all times. Stays motivated and projects a positive and professional attitude toward fellow staff and clients. Cooperates and supports teamwork; maintains and strengthens customer and staff relationships.
- Works in a safe manner so as not to endanger fellow staff members, volunteers, and visitors. Complies with safety rules and regulations and establishes safe work practices. Reads all safety materials received. Reports unsafe conditions and unsafe acts directly to supervisor. Promptly reports accidents to immediate supervisor. Maintains assigned work area and equipment free of accident producing conditions.