- Employer: Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Salary: $62,000.00 - $62,000.00 per year
- Posting Closes: October 3, 2022
The Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology seeks an individual to fill a Collections Steward position in the Osteology and Paleoanthropology Department. This position will work with sensitive collections and content which requires attentiveness to university and cultural protocols. A primary responsibility is to forward the Museum’s commitment to ethical stewardship with improved documentation and collections care of human remains; this may include contributing to the Museum’s implementation of federally mandated Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act regulations. This position will assist with providing teaching and research access to osteological and paleoanthropological collections and is responsible for records management of teaching and research requests. Reports to the Museum Curator of Osteology and Paleoanthropology.
- Evaluates human remains and records and verifies documentation in accordance with museum standards.
- Completes all tasks necessary to undertake cataloguing, inventory, rehousing, and data verification of assigned osteological and paleoanthropological collections at the Peabody Museum.
- Supports access to osteological and paleoanthropological collections for teaching and research.
- Responsible for records management of teaching and research requests pertaining to osteological and paleoanthropological collections.
- May conduct three-dimensional imaging capture and analysis on collections. May utilize computer assisted tomography and imaging software programs.
- May be responsible for the organization and maintenance of specified collections in the Museum; assists with other collections as assigned.
- May attend professional conferences to build subject knowledge of Museum collections.
- Contributes to policies and standards for collections use and access at the museum.
- May be assigned other duties as required.