- Employer: Archaeology Southwest, Tucson, AZ
- Salary: $20 per hour
Archaeology Southwest practices a holistic approach to protecting heritage places and landscapes. Archaeology Southwest is committed to close and respectful collaboration with American Indian Tribal governments and communities. In our workplace and activities, we strive for inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, and identity. For more information, please visit www.archaeologysouthwest.org.
This position is located at the National Park Service Western Archeological and Conservation Center at 255 N. Commerce Park Loop (West of the freeway and North of Congress St.) The work is at a federal facility, but you will be an employee of Archaeology Southwest, not a federal employee.
Archaeology Southwest is looking for a museum technician to work at the Western Archeological and Conservation Center (WACC), a division of the National Park Service (NPS). The successful candidate will be involved in museum processing and cataloging of materials housed at WACC under the control of the NPS including archeological and historical objects. Training in museum procedures will be provided by NPS museum program staff.
This position is 40 hours per week between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Tuesday–Saturday. The position is funding dependent and may be extended beyond one year if funding is available and the employee maintains satisfactory performance.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing assistance to NPS staff and students working at the facility in performing tasks such as research, data entry, IPM, cataloging, labeling, and storing items in the WACC repository.
- Teaching students the above-identified processes and others as assigned.
- Coaching and monitoring of students and tracking management of project progress to achieve timely completion. Check student task logs and timesheets for accurate charges to multiple accounts.
- Applicant will be required to use the National Park Service’s Interior Collections Management System (ICMS) database program or subsequent programs. Training will be provided.
- Performing work in proximity to human remains and funerary objects.
- Some of the work will require sitting for extended periods of time, climbing a rolling ladder up to 10-ft high, using a Work-Assist-Vehicle (WAV machine), and lifting boxes up to 25 lbs. overhead.
- Performing other duties as requested.