- Employer: Tennessee State Museum, Nashville, TN
- Salary: $26,016.00 per year
- Posting Closes: November 30, 2021
Under general supervision, is responsible for performing professional museum curatorial work of average difficulty. An employee in this class collaborates with collections staff in the management of the Tennessee State Museum collection. This class differs from higher level curatorial and registrar classes in that incumbent of the latter perform curation or registration duties of greater difficulty and responsibility.
- Collaborates with collections staff with the preparation of exhibitions, research, publications, presentations and other curatorial activities.
- Ensures the security of State Museum collection by performing collections management duties including, but not limited to creating condition reports, environmental reports, acquisition reports, artifact inventories and accessioning and de-accessioning reports.
- Processes artifact acquisitions through building artifact records, numbering, imaging, cataloging and housing.
- Performs handling, storage and transport of museum objects in accordance with best practices as set forth by the State Museum’s Collections Manual.
- Researches permanent collection using primary and secondary historical sources to be applied to State Museum’s artifact records.
- Researches potential acquisitions to identify, authenticate and assess appropriateness for the State Museum’s collection.
- Participates in the development of content for online and temporary exhibitions including writing interpretive texts.
- Adheres to ethical standards set forth in the Collections Department Manual and other state publications in performance of job duties.
- Responds to public inquiries regarding State Museum’s collection as needed.
- Oversees the work of State Museum interns and contract workers.
- Conducts public tours of exhibitions and collection storage as needed.
- Performs other related tasks as needed.
When applying, reference the job listing: MUSEUM CURATORIAL ASSISTANT – 11172021 – 24644