« Back to all jobs Museum Collections Manager
- Employer: Thanksgiving Point, Lehi, UT, USA
- Salary: $16.00+ DOE
It is a wonderful time to be a part of our Thanksgiving Point team! As a local Non-Profit, our mission is to bring to life the joy of learning, curiosity, and the wonders of the natural world through world-class experiences that engage, delight, and inspire. Our vision is to engage families and individuals of all ages and abilities. We accomplish this through a variety of offerings and world-class places to explore and visit. Team Members enjoy free venue admissions for themselves and their families, a 401K match incentive, work/life balance and wellness benefits, growth opportunities, Sundays always off, and so much more! We are a one-of-a-kind place, and we want Team Members who are too. Come on board and feel the tremendous reward of improving the lives of all those who enter our doors!
Summary: As our museum’s collections manager, you will support the institution’s mission by providing for the care, preservation, safety, and accessibility of the museum’s collection and associated records. The position applies concepts, principles, and techniques of professional museum collections management and museum registration methods. We look forward to further discussing this position with you!
- Leads collection management activities including identification, classification, labeling, cataloging, condition reporting, inventory, and preserving artifacts and specimens for research, exhibition, and education.
- Assists with the management of acquisitions, accessions, deaccessions, and incoming and outgoing loans.
- Oversees the development, management, and data entry of the collections management database (PastPerfect) by processing, entering, and correcting existing and new collection donations, creating or updating records as needed. Ensures staff are trained to follow data entry procedures.
- Oversees the physical collection storage, ensuring inventory of the collection is completed, and facilitating all aspects of collections processing.
- Ensures proper care and preservation of the museum collections by leading environmental monitoring activities, implementing an integrated pest management (IPM) program, and other preventative conservation methods.
- Works with Director of Collections, Director of Paleontology, and other appropriate staff to identify acquisitions to be added to or deaccessioned from the permanent collection.
- Works with the Collection Technician to expedite photographing the collection by identifying the most efficient workflow for digitizing artifacts and specimens safely, while also maintaining the highest standards of quality.
- Evaluates and prepares artifacts and specimens for storage or exhibition by conducting inspections and inventories. Mitigates risk to safety and security of objects and creates a plan to address deficiencies in conditions, housing, and documentation.
- Manages and routinely monitors collection storage areas and conducts tours as needed.
- Support the development and implements collections policies, standards, and procedures.
- Provides oversight and training to staff, volunteers, interns, and researchers working with the collection.
- Work is frequently reviewed for accuracy and to ensure adherence to all institutional and departmental guidelines for the management of the museum’s collections.
- Exemplify Thanksgiving Point’s Mission, Values and Policies
Note: Please submit a cover letter along with your resume when applying. Thank you!