Reporting to the Vice President of Registration and Collection Management, the Institutional Archivist & Record Manager will develop and manage the Museum’s Archive and Record Management Program. You will strategically plan and execute accessioning, cataloging, preserving, and storing an archive that includes both digital and physical material. You will also work with Academy databases, digital asset systems, and storage facilities in accordance with the industry’s best practices.
- Develop and implement policy and procedure guidelines for the Museum Archive and Record Management program, ensuring best practice and adherence to legal standards in the administration of all aspects of the Archive and record management.
- Work across all Museum departments to implement and maintain a records management program, including creating retention/disposition schedules for active/inactive records.
- Create and uphold policies and procedures for the maintenance and access of records.
- Develop and implement metadata conventions, consistent file structures, naming conventions, and format standards to ensure the long-term accessibility of physical and digital materials.
- Perform original cataloging using best practices and standards including DACS, RDA, MARC and various controlled vocabularies.
- Regular assessment of and planning for digital and physical collection storage.
- Provide stewardship of Museum Archive material utilizing preservation and storage best practices.
- Assist Museum staff and public researchers with inquiries requiring archival material while maintaining confidentiality.
- Create and maintain finding aids.
- Advise all Museum staff on proper record-keeping practices and procedures, especially regarding vital records and disaster planning.
- Lead cataloging and processing efforts for both backlog and new acquisitions, as well as quality control of asset metadata.
- Understand the components and complexities of a digital asset management system and collaborate on uploading/downloading material to a digital asset management system with other Academy departments or third parties.
- Assess Archive material and seek opportunities to effectively manage the footprint of physical and digital material.
- Develop plan for fulfilling internal research requests and potentially public, including access to material, loan, tracking and return of the materials. Assess and coordinate requests for digitization of archival material.
- Identify, collect, analyze, and communicate statistics for Archives and records.
- Keep current with the media asset management landscape and other developments in archiving digital material.
- Lead efforts to develop systems to meet the needs of the Archive, which may include liaising with other Academy departments to plan and manage database enhancements and/or new system implementations.
- Supervise the work of interns, contractors, and staff.