- Employer: Avalon Free Public Library, Avalon, NJ
- Posting Closes: October 21, 2022
The Avalon Free Public Library & History Center seeks a Discovery Archivist to join the library’s Collections Department, specializing in Digital and Special Collections. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Collections and Technology, the Archivist works primarily at the History Center and is responsible for digitizing, preserving, arranging, and describing a wide range of materials relating to the history of Avalon, NJ and making them digitally accessible in an engaging and understandable way for a diverse range of patrons.
- Oversee the growth, organization, access, and long- term preservation of the Avalon History Center collection consistent with the mission of the library to engage local and remote audiences.
- Research, plan, design, and execute regular online/remote exhibits using current and emerging technology, improving remote access to the collection for exhibit and research.
- Maintain a plan for ongoing online exhibit development. Renew the plan annually, including plans for marketing the exhibits.
- Digitize collection documents, photographs, and objects using a variety of digitization tools, making many more items suitable for display and archiving.
- Identify and evaluate databases and resources to provide community access to archival records related to Avalon history.
- Contribute material for various marketing and outreach platforms.
- Assist the Curator with maintenance of the catalog to facilitate access by the general public and for research.
- Identify the gaps in the collection to direct acquisition efforts.
- Support the Curator’s Disaster Preparedness efforts, with a focus on electronic records management.
- Adopt best practices in the conservation and preservation of the physical and digital collection.
- Work with the Curator to strengthen the validation process and expand provenance strategies for existing and new acquisitions.
- Advise and collaborate on metadata strategies for enhancing access and discoverability of online records and digitized materials.
- Participate in inventory control and maintaining accession records
- Participate and assist in a wide range of preservation/ preventive conservation activities including disaster preparedness and recovery, pest management, minor mold remediation, examination and preparation of materials for loan, and environmental monitoring.
- Assist in the general maintenance and organization of the collection
- Provide research assistance in the use of archival materials
- Coordinate the oral history project to capture unique personal experiences, supporting the biographical orientation of the collection.
- Set priorities for archival processing, identifying areas of descriptive emphasis, and make curatorial recommendations regarding arrangement and descriptions.
- Oversee and participate in packing and transfer of archival acquisitions when required.
- Participate as a member of the Collections Committee.
- Generate monthly and annual activity reports for the Director.
- Attend relevant workshops as necessary to maintain professional certification and/or knowledge; attend all Library in-services, as required.
Programs & Community Engagement
- Represent the History Center at museum and community functions and programs.
- Present Avalon history information as part of public programs.
- Establish connections with other local historical repositories and agencies to share collection development strategies.
- Attend relevant community events to promote and positively publicize the Library/History Center.
- Assist in the planning and execution of in-house developed programs.
- Assist with program coverage during the evening or weekends, as needed.
- Work non-traditional hours based on operational needs and to meet the needs of the community.
- Provide basic technology assistance, including routine troubleshooting, to the Assistant Director, in areas of software, hardware maintenance of the History Center’s network and website.
- Provide assistance to colleagues in the use of technology.
- Keep up-to-date on technology and media trends and evaluates new platforms and products for the History Center’s use.
- Adhere to all Library and departmental policies and procedures and ensures the appropriate handling of sensitive information.
- Complete special projects specific to the function of the Library/History Center or as needed.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of position expectations.