- Employer: Idaho State Museum, Boise, ID, USA
- Salary: $51,521.60 - $54,121.60 Annually
- Posting Closes: 3/12/2023 11:59 PM Mountain
Be part of an organization that makes History every day! Join a highly motivated team in a fast-paced environment dedicated to inspiring, enriching and engaging all Idahoans by leading the state in preserving, sharing and using history and cultural resources relevant to today to inform and influence the future.
This Curatorial Registrar, with the working title of Registrar, is responsible for managing permanent museum collections, and participates in the exhibition process. This includes performing work related to acquiring, accessioning, cataloging, providing basic care and storage for historic artifacts. This position also researches, writes, and develops content for Idaho State Museum exhibits.
Example of Duties
- In consultation with the Curator and other program area staff, implements policies, procedures, and forms for museum collections management, in alignment with the Agency’s strategic plan and in accordance with professional standards set by the American Association of Museums.
- Creates, manages, and maintains records of permanent collection including maintaining legal documents, artifact provenance, histories of use, inventories, loans, conservation, condition, and publication records of permanent collections objects, and reconciles these files in physical and digital locations.
- As part of Museum Collections Committee, determines objects to be added to the permanent collection, and makes deaccessioning recommendations, with respect to the Museums policies and mission.
- Responds in a timely manner to public inquiries regarding collections donations procedures, gathers information from potential donors, and works directly with them to facilitate legal transfer of ownership of objects into the permanent collection. Verifies and collects pertinent information about historic artifacts for museum records.
- Accessions and registers collection artifacts and ensure artifacts are labeled and marked for ease of identification and documents storage location.
- Determines proper storage procedures for artifact preservation and stabilization, then appropriately prepares and documents each artifact for exhibition and storage.
- Assists with public inquiries, visitors, and researchers; facilitates appropriate access to the collections and related information.
- Facilitates care and control of collections including access, such as environmental monitoring of exhibition galleries and permanent collections storage areas.
- Researches and provides information on artifacts relevant to exhibitions and gives guidance regarding physical exhibition requirements for permanent collections and loaned items.
- Completes incoming and outgoing loan documentation, and manages packing, shipping, insurance, and other required documentation for loaned items and exhibitions.
- Assists in researching archival materials such as photographs, film, and audio recordings for use in exhibitions, and secures proper permissions for use in Idaho State Museum exhibits.
- Develops and performs public programs related to the museum collections, and the vision, mission, and goals of the Idaho State Historical Society.
- Maintains knowledge of current museum practices and standards for the preservation and conservation of artifacts.
- Consults as a resource person regarding methods of collections management, preservation, and conservation.
- Research and purchase collections management equipment and supplies.
- Provide support to agency public programs and outreach efforts as assigned.
- Some weekend and/or evening hours may be scheduled.
- Performs other duties as assigned.