- Employer: Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, CA
- Salary: $45,000 - $50,000 per year
The Curatorial Assistant is responsible for performing research and project management-oriented duties in support of exhibitions, publications, acquisitions, and other projects. Duties include performing general art historical research, maintaining exhibition files and collection database (The Museum System), drafting correspondence and other texts, responding to inquiries, and serving as liaison to other Museum departments, museums, galleries, collectors, artists, and trustees. The Curatorial Assistant may also be tasked with organizing smaller exhibitions, when appropriate. Knowledge of contemporary art and the skills to perform art historical research are necessary, as is the ability to effectively aid in managing exhibition projects.
- Assist Curators with all aspects of exhibition organization including loans and loan correspondence, artist and gallery correspondence, data entry, image scanning, scheduling meetings, and making travel arrangements
- Work closely with Exhibition Production, Registration, Exhibition Management, Communications, Education and Visitor Services, and Advancement staff. Adhere to exhibition planning process timelines.
- Assist Curators with exhibition-related didactics including object label copy and wall texts. Coordinate external editors and translators.
- Assist Curators with exhibition-related publications including securing copyright permissions, arranging artwork photography, compiling research as directed. Work closely with external editors, designers, and publishers.
- Perform internet, library, and archival research for exhibitions, publications, and potential acquisitions.
- Prepare Acquisitions Reports and PowerPoint presentations for potential Permanent Collection objects; provide information to Registrar, work with donors and galleries as needed.
- Develop and maintain working relationships and appropriately represent the Museum to outside organizations, collectors, trustees, and artists.
- In select instances, organize modest exhibitions from the permanent collection; choose objects for the checklist; didactic materials; speak publicly about the exhibition; give tours as needed.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Curatorial Assistant”.