- Employer: Contemporary Jewish Museum, San Francisco, CA
- Salary: $25 per year
The Curatorial Assistant at The Contemporary Jewish Museum (The CJM) will join a team led by the Senior Curator that develops and shapes the exhibitions at The Museum. The Curatorial Assistant will provide core administrative assistance to the department and will report directly to the Assistant Curator. The role supports the work of curatorial colleagues, and enriches the scope of curatorial work through research and development, deadline management, and cross-departmental collaboration. The Curatorial Assistant will also interact regularly with the Registrar, Exhibitions Manager, and other department heads.
The CJM originates contemporary art exhibitions of specific interest to Jewish culture and presents traveling exhibitions from other institutions that advance the mission of The CJM. Members of the curatorial team work on exhibitions up to three years in advance. The Curatorial Assistant will become familiar with the artwork and detailed planning of future projects so that they may effectively assist in the exhibition planning and preparation.
The successful individual for this position will thrive in a creative and collaborative environment with experienced professionals who work closely together on exhibitions planning and creative problem solving. In addition, for all positions, The Museum expects prospective employees to have an interest in and commitment to the mission and core values of The CJM, including contributing to its efforts towards anti-racism, diversity, equity, access, and inclusion.
- Assist curators in the research and organization of exhibitions
- Update and maintain exhibitions schedule documents in consultation with Exhibitions Manager and Senior Curator
- Schedule and attend department meetings; create and distribute meeting notes and action items
- Arrange for photo documentation of exhibitions
- Source and assist with licensing of images for exhibitions and publications
- Provide support for publications as requested
- Develop labels for exhibitions and/or modify labels for touring exhibitions according to The CJM’s style guide
- Update and maintain department and exhibition records and files on shared server
- Assist in preparation of presentations of planned exhibitions, using PowerPoint or other presentation tools
- Provide exhibitions related information and materials to Education, Marketing and Communications, and Development teams
- Create travel itineraries and arrange transportation, accommodation, and visitor guides for visiting artists, couriers, and curators
- Manage curatorial department email account; respond to or direct inquiries about exhibitions or departmental matters as appropriate
- Organize periodic review of unsolicited exhibition proposals and manages responses
- Act as departmental lead on internal project management software (Asana). Track tasks and remind Curators of upcoming deadlines each week
- Assist in managing on-exhibition artist opportunities including scheduling studio visits locally
- Manage and assist in preparing assignments for curatorial interns and Teen Art Connect fellows when applicable
- Contribute to the development of prospective exhibitions and contemporary artist list
- Occasionally project manage selected exhibitions and/or artwork production