The New Mexico Museum of Art, located in Santa Fe New Mexico, is seeking a contract Collections Technician to assist with the inventory and move of collections. The Collections Technician is a grant-funded position expected to run for a maximum of 34 months. This is an onsite project, with no remote options available.
Under the supervision of the Museum’s collection staff, the Collections Technician will assist the Collections Manager and Assistant Registrar with the inventory, digitization, and relocation of 6,500 photographs and 300 contemporary artworks. The Collections Technician will report to the Head of Registration and Collections and will have ongoing interactions with all Museum staff.
- Update and maintain collections management database records
- Upload images into database
- Identify condition issues and document for future conservation
- Locate, pull, and inventory photographs, paintings, and sculpture
- Record dimensions, inscriptions, signatures, and markings
- Assist photographer by providing lists and cross-reference for accurate record keeping Provide quality control for data entry information being updated into database Rehouse artworks and record location updates
- Pack and unpack artworks before and after transport
- Create up-to-date inventory lists
- Create statistical reports
- Order supplies
- Graduation from an accredited institution with a minimum of an associate degree in Art History, Museum Studies, Museology, Conversation Science, Anthropology, History or other related field, and two (2) years supervised experience working with museum artifacts and/or collections.
Interested candidates must apply electronically. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to: Ruth LaNore, Head of Registration and Collections at [email protected]