- Employer: Wiregrass Museum of Art, Dothan, AL
- Salary: $1,230.77 - $2,000.00 bi-weekly salary
The Collections Manager is responsible for the care, management, and use of the Wiregrass Museum of Art’s permanent collection and loaned works of art, and for the logistical movement of incoming and outgoing special exhibitions. The Collections Manager will work under the direction of the Executive Director and Curator to ensure the highest level of stewardship of WMA’s permanent collection, its presentation, storage, and security and safety within the WMA and loaned locations. The Collections Manager implements the highest standards in registration processes and ensures all work is consistent with current professional museum practices. The Collections Manager will assist with institutional planning, budgeting, and implementation of museum-wide policies and procedures that promote the safe and thoughtful presentation of art within the WMA.
This is a full time, salaried position, with paid time off (PTO), holidays, medical benefits, and 401k plan. Some weekends and evenings required for events.
- Oversees all registration aspects for storage and handling of art, including records management, inventory control, policy formulation, insurance and risk management, and long-range planning.
- In accordance with best practices, ensures proper coordination, handling, documentation, accessioning, and condition reporting of art objects entering WMA, either on loan or for acquisition.
- Coordinates all logistical movement of works of art, for incoming and outgoing loans including shipping, cataloging, condition reporting.
- Perform necessary inventory of collection, in accordance with the Collections Management Policy, as well as cataloging and photography of collection.
- Maintains the collections database and provides oversight of the use of images of the collection by WMA staff and other entities.
- Coordinates with Executive Director and Curator, and Special Projects Administrator to monitor building climate, lighting, cleanliness, and safety in accordance with museum practices for collections management.
- Prepares and processes gift receipts.
- Prepares loan agreements for exhibitions and keeps checklists and coordinates photography for new acquisitions and loans.
- Performing routine monitoring of pest management control and environment in all storage areas.
- Establishes and revises the museum’s collections plan and emergency preparedness policies and procedures and trains museum staff, as needed. Assists in the development and implementation of museum-wide policies and procedures involving collections care, and collection maintenance.
- Participates in various committee meetings as needed, including the Collections Committee. Represents WMA in professional and community circles to enhance the understanding of WMA, its collection, and its mission.
- Collaborates with Advancement Department on grant application for collections needs.
- All other duties as assigned.