- Employer: The Indian Museum of North America, Crazy Horse, ND
- Salary: $52,000 to $54,000 per year
A search for a qualified Collections Manager is being conducted for The Indian Museum of North America® and Museums of the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation. Under the leadership of the Museum Curator/Director of Cultural Affairs, the Collections Manager implements the Collections Management Policy as it relates to the acquisition, documentation, management, and access of museum objects owned and exhibited by the Museums of the Memorial. This person must be a creative problem-solver, flexible, steady, a collaborative team member, and efficient with resources and project management. Experience in all areas of collection and exhibition management is essential, as are strong leadership skills, and the ability to forge relationships with donors and cultural consultants. This position ensures continuity of collections care and implements the highest stewardship standards for the Museum’s collections and exhibitions. The Collection Manager conducts and oversees the research of Native American and other art and artifacts of the Museums of the Memorial.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in museum studies, art history, conservation, arts administration, Native studies or equivalent training and experience.
- Knowledge of best practices in museum collections care and management.
- Knowledge of and experience with museum registration methods, cataloguing, conservation and storage practices; legal and insurance issues; and procedures governing rights and reproductions.
- Familiarity with artists’ materials and art history, preferably Native American historical and/or contemporary art.
- Knowledge of current conservation standards and practices, as well as available conservation resources in the region and beyond.
- Minimum of 5 years museum experience with direct collections or registration experience or equivalent
To perform the job successfully, an individual should have the following Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven leadership, supervisory, interpersonal, and management skills
- Must have experience managing others, projects, and budgets
- Proficiency in the use of standard office equipment and software
- Extensive knowledge of collection management software (PastPerfect preferred)
- Demonstrated experience in community relationship building with donors and cultural consultants of various backgrounds.
- Experience in working with Native American consultants and collaborators desired.
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate and manage multiple, often complicated, concurrent projects.
- Willingness to be a team player within the department, division, branch and entire organization
- Ability to maintain the highest ethics as they relate to all aspects of collections management, and to understand and maintain the highest levels of confidentiality.
A complete application will include a letter of application addressing qualifications, a statement of collection management philosophy, names and contact information for three references.
Please send application materials to [email protected]
or mail cover letter, resume and references to:
Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation
Attn: Human Resources
12151 Avenue of the Chiefs
Crazy Horse, SD 57730-8900