In support of the two-year National Parks Service Japanese American Confinement Sites-funded collections digitization grant, the JANM Collections Management & Access department (CMA) seeks a digitization specialist to advance digitization and make the digital assets and accompanying metadata available in TMS Collections as well as through eMuseum web-publishing platform. The position is temporary with funding through June 30, 2023.
- In consultation with other CMA staff, the digitization specialist will help to determine a plan to digitize the artifacts and archival materials related to the World War II experience that were outlined in the NPS-JACS grant proposal.
- Pull, track, and manage objects during the digitization process.
- Photograph or scan artifacts within JANM’s permanent collection. Process images for inclusion in TMS Collections database.
- Catalog artifacts in TMS Collections database by creating new records and updating existing records that capture critical metadata such as physical description, measurements, current location, condition, historical significance, and keyword tags.
- Organize JANM’s repository of digital assets.
- Publish TMS Collections catalog records onto eMuseum for public access.
- Clean up and manage location records in TMS Collections database.
- Conduct inventories / audits of artifacts, as needed.
- Proofread data in existing catalog records, determine if content is ready for eMuseum, and add relevant keyword tags.
- Work with Densho to transfer digital assets and accompanying metadata for project-objects, as outlined in the NPS JACS grant proposal.
- Prepare digital assets to fulfill internal and public requests for images from the collection. Generate reports, as needed.
- Create finding aids for archival collections.
- Other job duties, as assigned.
- Staff members must be able to work with visitors of all ages to support the various events sponsored by JANM. Each staff member will be expected to work on a minimum of three museum-wide events per year:
- JANM’s Gala Dinner and Auction—(off-site) typically held in the Spring (April-May)
- JANM’s Family Festival Day—Oshogatsu Festival (January)
- JANM’s Family Festival Day—Natsumatsuri Festival (August)