- Employer: Newport Restoration Foundation, Newport, RI
- Salary: not to exceed $25,000 in 2022
The Newport Restoration Foundation seeks highly qualified candidates for the position of Collections Care Technician. This is a contract position (not to exceed $25,000 in 2022). The successful candidate will be responsible for the care of and attention to the ongoing preservation and safety of our collections both in storage and on display at Rough Point and Whitehorne House Museums. Candidates can expect to work 10-15 hours a month from March-October and 40-50 hours a month from November-February, when more in-depth projects tend to take place, including the large scale cleaning of gilded surfaces, textiles, and precise care of objects as identified by our senior curator.
- Work with senior curator with the physical care of collections and upkeep of spaces used for collection storage, preparation, and exhibit
- Responsible for maintenance of collections with regular inspection of objects and light cleaning as necessary
- Works with senior curator on installation and movement of objects including furniture, paintings, decorative arts, etc.
- Works with senior curator in packing/unpacking of objects going out for loan, conservation
- Keeps records of work performed on objects
- Integrated pest management and monitoring of environments in all spaces where collections are housed
- Replace light bulbs
- Be confident using a range of monitoring equipment and interpretation, sharing data
- Mitigation measures to ensure collections safety