« Back to all jobs Cataloging Assistant
- Employer: Long Beach Museum of Art, Long Beach, CA
- Salary: Part Time $16.75 hour
The Long Beach Museum of Art received a Museums for America Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services for a project to digitally catalogue artworks by women artists in the Museum’s permanent collection. The Cataloging Assistant is an essential member of the project team as well as a member of the Registrar staff. The Cataloging Assistant is responsible for researching biographical and contextual information on all artists and artworks by women; entering data into the Museum’s collection management database; coordinate quality control of those electronic records; and research and obtain copyright permissions. Position also provides administrative support for the Registrar’s Office and completes other general tasks of a Cataloging Assistant. The position reports to the Registrar and works closely with the Deputy Director of Collections and Exhibitions and Curatorial Assistant.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organize and compile information about artworks by women, including but not limited to artist biographies, object identification and contextual information, condition and conservation status, image documentation into accessible artist/object files.
- Assist with formatting and reporting in the Museum’s collection management database, EmbARK.
- Fully catalog the collection of art by women into EmbARK, using procedures and standards provided by Registrar.
- Produce a hard copy record of the artwork and artist file with digital image from EmbARK for quality control purposes to Registrar and Deputy Director. Correct and update electronic file as needed. Produce final copy for approval by Deputy Director.
- Upload and maintain digital image files of art by women on the Image Server; Maintain digital image standards as set by Registrar.
- Research and obtain copyright permissions for use of images on the web catalog.
- Provide other assistance to the Registrar as assigned.