The Walters Art Museum, located in the historic Mount Vernon district in Baltimore, offers challenging and creative work opportunities by promoting collaboration and teamwork. Our mission is to bring art and people together for enjoyment, discovery, and learning. We promote and model a culture that celebrates the diversity and inclusion of all our staff, visitors, and members.
This position sits within the Department of Conservation, Collections, and Technical Research. As part of a multi-disciplined team centered on the preservation, study, and installation of the Walters collection, this position assists with all collection-related projects to support the management of the Walters’ collections and associated data. Provides assistance for the internal and external movement of art at the Walters in conjunction with installations staff. Contributes to upholding best practices in collection stewardship by maintaining collections care practices and improving upon current storage and housing of the collections.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Supports collections management activities by:
- Working on assigned collections and storage projects, including but not limited to: basic cataloging, creating and updating collections database records, digital photography, object numbering, measuring, and condition reports.
- Fabrication of custom boxes and supports for rehousing of collections in storage, as assigned.
- Assist with planning/implementation of future storage/rehousing improvements with the goal of using the existing storage spaces efficiently and safely, in line with best practices.
- Monitoring environments and condition of artwork through regular gallery and storage inspections. Ensuring all art storage areas are clean and orderly.
- Collaborating on collection inventories and maintaining up-to-date locations in the collection database, including daily data entry to record object movements.
- Assisting with storage maintenance and preventative care. Includes working with outside contractors as assigned.
- Coordinating with Conservation on the Walters Integrated Pest Management Program.
- Administering the Walters renewal of incoming and outgoing long-term loans, making sure files and documentation are up-to-date.
Assists with art access and art movement to meet requests for objects by:
- Coordinating and execution of object movements for conservation, curatorial, installation/deinstallation, and photography, assisting Installation staff when needed.
- Coordinating of external art transports between the Walters campus and other local storage locations.
- Assisting Installation staff with the installation and deinstallation of permanent collections, rotations, and exhibitions.
- Assisting with the coordination of visiting scholars and classes, reviewing requested objects with Conservation, pulling objects for viewing, and monitoring scholars or classes as needed
- Coordinating reintegration of returning objects into appropriate storage spaces.
- Facilitating Walters’ staff access to storage, both onsite and off-site.
- Supports collections information management activities in order to expand our collections documentation by:
- Working on assigned data entry and cleanup projects.
- Digitizing physical records