History Associates is actively recruiting qualified individuals with experience in surveying, arranging, preserving, and describing archives, including paper documents, audiovisual, photographic, and digital materials.
The archivist will be based at History Associates’ Rockville, MD office as part of a diverse team of archivists, collections managers, and historians. Some project work may occur at off-site locations within a 35 mile radius of the Rockville office. Occasional short-term, long distance travel may be required.
This position is full-time; 40 hours per week and includes a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including paid holidays; annual and sick leave; medical, dental, life, and disability insurance; and a 401(k) plan.
The archivist will work on a variety of archival projects as needed; work may include the following:
- Surveying large groups of unorganized materials with an eye to making appraisal and arrangement decisions based on client needs and requirements, as well as archival best practice.
- Writing processing plans that will include a hierarchical organization schema, required preservation activities, and arrangement and description specifications.
- Arranging and rehousing collections according to the processing plan created by the archivist and in accordance with standard processing approaches (including MPLP).
- Describing archival materials using various cataloging systems; creating finding aids that are EAD and DACS compliant.
- Assessing archival materials to report findings and make recommendations for improved management, preservation, and use of the archives.